by Alexander Grob, Priska Hagmann-von Arx
The IDS-2 is a global cognitive assessment of children designed to identify their knowledge, strengths and relevant areas for development. With 30 subtests covering six domains, the IDS-2 offers the most comprehensive diagnostic assessment available today. Developed in a modular framework with friendly test materials, the IDS-2 makes it easy for the practitioner to personalise the testing session for each child. Children and adolescents from 5–20.11 years.
The IDS-2 is available or being adapted in English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazilian), Spanish and Swedish.
Dutch and German editions have been released. To order the Dutch edition (IDS-2 Introductory kit, Dutch / IDS-2 compleet startpakket, product no. 5701302, US $1,690.00) or the German edition (IDS-2 Introductory kit, German / IDS-2 Test komplett, product no. 0317501, US $1,650.00) email firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the above product number.
The second edition of the highly successful German IDS which was first published in 2009, the IDS-2 provides information on the child’s strengths and developmental needs, thus painting a picture of where support is needed to help them achieve their full potential. Its flexible modular design is easily tailored by the psychologist, and booklets and record sheets are colour-coded for ease of use during the testing session.
The IDS-2 covers the functional dimensions of intelligence, executive functions, psychomotor skills, social-emotional competence, basic school skills and motivation and work attitude. Psychologists use the assessment when identifying and diagnosing intellectual disabilities and learning disorders, evaluating cognitive and motor skills, and to help understand emotional strengths and weaknesses.
Specifically, the assessment measures:
- Intelligence – including IQ screening (two tests), general intelligence (seven tests), and complete IQ profile (14 tests)
- Executive functions – including inhibition, working memory, and cognitive flexibility
- Psychomotor skills
- Social-emotional skills
- Basic skills – including mathematical reasoning, reading and spelling
- Motivation and attitude (ages 11–20).
- Theory and Administration Manuals
- Binders for Intelligence, Executive functions, and General Development
- Copies of each record form, test sheets and response booklets
- Electronic evaluation credits for use with HTS 5
- Scoring templates, acetates and reading cards
- Box of nonverbal materials
- Carrying case
More informationIDS Intelligence and Development Scales™
Norms for the IDS-2 use state-of-the-art ‘continuous norming’ so as to provide the precise information which can be critical when assessing a child’s development. Scoring is online through the Hogrefe Testsystem 5 (HTS 5), a platform designed by psychologists for psychologists, eliminating errors and removing the need for manual scoring. No licence is necessary; a scoring credit is included with the purchase of each paper record form.
Approximate testing times are as follows:
- Intelligence: IQ Screening (10 minutes)
- IQ General Intelligence (50 minutes)
- IQ Complete Profile (90 minutes)
- Executive Functions (30 minutes)
- Psychomotor Skills (20 minutes)
- Social-emotional skills (15 minutes)
- Basic Skills (according to age: 30–60 minutes)
- Motivation and Attitude (7 minutes)